Re: BDB 4.2.52 VS BDB 4.4.20 Showdown

--On Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:57 PM -0800 Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@symas.com> wrote:

Conclusion:

It looks like BDB 4.4 could become a major boon to OpenLDAP.  It is
substantially faster than BDB 4.2.52 for write operations occurring
inside an existing database.  On the downside, it is markedly slower for
importing a database via slapadd.  It also is slightly slower than 4.2.52
for READ operations, but this slowness is very marginal, especially
compared to the gain in WRITE speed.

HOWEVER, there apparently remain some issues either in BDB 4.4.20 or
between BDB 4.4 and OpenLDAP that make it unstable and not fit for use at
this time with OpenLDAP.

A follow up here:

I was unable to reproduce the issue with BDB 4.4.20 blowing up under Solaris or an identical linux box, so I believe there was an issue specific to the system I was using rather than BDB 4.4.20. Given that, I would note that BDB 4.4.20 may be a better choice for those people in a high-write environment who are willing to sacrifice a small amount of READ speed for the gained WRITE throughput, with the caveat that BDB 4.4.20 is still largely untested for long-term durability.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Engineer