Re: WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm

Pierangelo Masarati schrieb:
I'm trying to build an OpenLDAP (2.3.18) server and to make it run on an
"embedded" mipsel/uclibc device running Linux.

After some initial hardships, I was able to build slapd + libs + utils etc. successfully.

However, when I run it (slapd -d 5), I can see a warning:

WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm

It's warning you that back-ldap does not support dynamic configuration
using back-config

Well, that's exactly what the warning says.
But I don't understand why (I think I used the correct flags to build it with ldbm support).

I was going to use ldbm, and to make the binaries as small as possible.

Poor choice, if you start from scratch (poor choice in any case).

Anyway, I built it once again, and now use "ldif" database. At least it works (and the binary is smaller, too).

In slapd.conf I have the ldbm module listed (and the files exists there
of course):

modulepath      /usr/sbin/openldap/
moduleload      back_ldbm.la

Why does slapd say this "No dynamic config support for database ldbm" warning?

see above.  It's harmless, as soon as you do not intend to run-time modify
the configuration of slapd.

How can it be "not harmless", as I'm not able to add any data to the db (or fetch any existing data)?

When I try to search anything using ldapsearch, it doesn't produce any
results, and moreover slapd says:

=> ldbm_cache_open( "/etc/openldap/db/dn2id.dbb", 73, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open NULL "/etc/openldap/db/dn2id.dbb" errno=2
reason="unknown")
<= dn2id could not open dn2id.dbb

Has anyone get an explanation for that?

As I'm not psychic I can only guess. Sorry for asking silly questions;
did you load any data into slapd?

First, I copied data from the other server (as I always do with new servers) - it didn't work.
Then, I tried adding data with slapadd - still without success.

Did you load it as root and then ran
slapd as another user?

So far, I've been running everything as root.

does "/etc/openldap/db/dn2id.dbb" exist?  does any
of the portions of that path exist?

Yes, it exists, but for some reason it couldn't be opened - I guess because slapd can see the file(s), but can't read the data in it - as in this warning "no config support for ldbm".

Anyway, rebuilt OpenLDAP with really minimal options (I hope):

./configure --target=mipsel-linux --host=mipsel-linux --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu --with-yielding_select=no --with-tls=no --with-cyrus-sasl=no --prefix=/usr --enable-slurpd=no --enable-ipv6=no --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/run/ldap --enable-overlays=no --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --enable-bdb=no --enable-ldbm=no --enable-hdb=no --enable-monitor=no --enable-relay=no --enable-ldap=yes

Now I use "ldif" database, I added data with slapadd and the server is running fine (and uses only about 2 MB of RAM), so I think I will not try ldbm again.

Anything special I should know about the "ldif" database?

-- Tomasz Chmielewski http://wpkg.org