Re: [ldap] Implementation Suggestions

--On Friday, January 20, 2006 4:21 PM -0500 Igor Brezac <igor@ipass.net> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Friday, January 20, 2006 3:34 PM -0500 Igor Brezac <igor@Ipass.net>
wrote:

Have you tried new sparc processors (T[12]000 line)?  I'd be curious to
see they compare against the top x86 processors.

Not at this time. I'm not sure if we have any in-house... We are largely migrating to x86 (Intel and AMD) at this time, and removing Sparc systems as fast as possible. Note that this does not mean we are dropping Sun.

In my opinion Solaris (x86 and Sparc) 10 is a major improvement over
previous solaris releases by a long shot.  Solaris x86 is rock solid and
at minimum as fast as linux in my testing on the same hardware.

I should be getting some Sun AMD servers delivered in the near future. If they are shipped with Solaris 10 x86, I will do a comparison benchmark on one of them with identical openldap configurations.

You can download: http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

I am not sure which boxes you are getting, I think both v and x lines
come with Solaris 10.

Yeah, I know I can download Solaris. It is more that I don't have a whole lot of interest in a platform we have no plans on using. ;) If its there and I don't have to hassle with it, I'll test it.

We are currently purchasing the X series of AMD systems.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer