Re: SLAPD accepts connection, then hangs

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 14:35 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>
> > > The symptom is that SLAPD accepts a connection, then nothing further
> > > happens.  This happens around once a month, making it difficult to nail.
> > > Because the connection has been accepted, the client does not bother
> > > trying the backup server.
> >
> > It is possible it is related to:
> > ITS#4338
> > which wasn't fully fixed until:
> > 2.3.18
>
> Funny you should say that; we are using back-meta, but I understood
> it was substantially rewritten in 2.3?  That assertion doesn't appear
> to be in 2.2.26.
>
> > There were a number of symptoms other than that listed in the ITS.
>
> Hmmm...  And we are indeed belting the daylights out of back-meta...
>
> I'll see if I can convince the boss to let me upgrade, but it's hard
> to reproduce and I don't want to deploy it in the field without major
> testing first.  Well, that's why bosses get paid so much :-)

If you want to convince him, just let him know that about nine months
ago, as soon as I started a new project based on back-meta, and 2.3 was
about to get into beta (so back-meta and libldap were essentially the
same as in 2.2), concurrency tests (like test036) could last few
operations before coredumping everywhere.  Now back-meta (and back-ldap)
can withstand test036 and test039 and, in some bench cases, we could
reach > 20000 read/s thru a single 2 P4 machine running the meta proxy
for __days__ at this rate (>2 billion queries without a single failure).
This is basically 2.3 (occasionally with patches).  Whatever bug may
still be out there (ITS#4246, ITS#4247, ...) be sure they are also in
2.2, but you cannot notice them because it's going to core ages before.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution
OpenLDAP Core Team