RE: slapd and meta devices under Solaris 8

One thought that just struck me, you might find it helps to mount the partition with the db's on with the noatime option (if you're not already doing so).

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of "Michael Ströder"
Sent: 17 January 2006 11:15
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: slapd and meta devices under Solaris 8

HI!

I'm currently doing some tests with OpenLDAP on a system where the real
disk devices are bound together as RAID 1 meta devices. To me slapd -q
seems to be extremly slow on this systems (compared to tests on my Linux
i386 laptop).
After a while disks are 100% busy, CPU load is very low (<5%).

The system:
Sun Sparc 4 CPUs, 8GB RAM
Solaris 8 with Sun Solstice Disksuite
OpenLDAP 2.3.17
BDB 4.2.52 + 4 patches

Any hints whether such a setup with meta devices does affect perfomance
with databases? There seem to be similar problems with another directory
server product on the same system.

Ciao, Michael.

BMRB wins two BMRA awards - http://www.bmrb.co.uk
reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB Limited accepts no liability
in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which
does not directly relate to our business.