Re: which version to consider "stable?"

--On Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:32 PM -0500 John Madden <jmadden@ivytech.edu> wrote:

2.3.16/bdb has now run here for more than 24 hours without a failure, so
it's at the very least a whole lot better than 2.3.11 was.  (This is on
Linux 2.6, bdb 4.2, 100,000+ objects, ~4 million operations a day.)

And just hours after sending this, slapd hung. This behavior's different than what I had been seeing before: slapd hangs at 100% cpu usage, eventually refusing new clients.

At loglevel 256, nothing of any use is revealed.  Is there some level I
can safely turn on to help debug this problem?  Will the upgrade to
2.3.17 help?

I'm using the default thread count and I noticed that at higher thread
levels, this CPU situation would happen sometimes within a couple of
hours.  Should I go even lower than 16, or is this another Linux-2.6
issue where I should consider using 2.4 instead?

I believe the fix to 2.3.17 to use nanosleep on 2.6 was in part to address that.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html