Re: HDB physical files separate from DIT

We were simply evaluating our options for openldap redesign (read
upgrades).  Here's a reply from one of our engineers:

----------
Thank you Howard for your reply. I would like to know how many BDB
files you had to achieve this great performance with 150 million
entries.

My request is to collapse the DIT structure for our customers. I need
a single "ou=people" container and be able to accommodate all customer
entries into this logical context. This container has to be able to
grow. It has to be able to grow to many, many millions. Currently we
are thinking of a number in between 20MM to 50MM. However, because of
scale limitations in the past we had to split out people container
into 14 sub-OU's which are named as cities.

A commercial LDAP vendor is highlighting one of his features that
would allow us to have an arbitrary amount of physical files belonging
to the same OU. We would be able to reduce the physical file size and
retrieve performance gains through shorter searches, smaller indices,
and whatever else benefits from small files.  It would greatly reduce
our administrative cost/burden and reduce some costly moving of
people/entries in our environment.  Also a lot of our LDAP-Depending
applications could be simplified. There is no need for our business to
know where a customer is coming from. We have no value of that
information to us, but we are unable to get rid of it.
---------

To expand a little bit, splitting the tree allowed us to keep database
files small and recoverable from another source, and we could split
the database accross different disks  for I/O gains.  Although more
intelligent indexing could probably help a lot in these respects.

Thanks,
_Matt