RE: openldap mysql backend authentication discussion

I have read and googled as much information as I can think of so I shall
start out with what I have and hopefully someone can fill in the blanks:

I have a table with 3 columns called users in the ldap database that I
have configured to use.

id, username and password (stored in md5).

I have created the ldap table, and followed most of
http://www.section6.net/help/openldap.php

bash-2.05b# iodbctest
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor
Driver Manager: 03.52.0305.1107

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): ?

DSN                              | Driver

------
ldap                             | MySQL LDAP DSN

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): DSN=ldap
Driver: 03.51.11 (libmyodbc3.so)

SQL>show tables;

Tables_in_ldap
---------------------
authors_docs
documents
institutes
ldap_attr_mappings
ldap_entries
ldap_entry_objclasses
ldap_oc_mappings
persons
phones
referrals
users

 result set 1 returned 11 rows.

SQL>

What I believe I need to do going forward:

1) I believe I need to create an objectClass but not sure how to do
that.
2) I need to somehow map the id, username and password in the
ldap_oc_mappings

3) somehow I want to have an ldap call do something like what would be
equivalent to this in mysql:

(pseudo code)
Sql> select username from users where username='$username' and password
= md5('$password');

Can someone point me to any documentation or explain to me the next
steps I need to take?  I am totally sure I missed some steps and have
holes in my path to completion and am all eyes to read.

I really appreciate the help anyone and thanks in advance if you can
help me.

Regards,

--
Ryan E. Helfter
UNIX Security Engineer

DataPipe Managed Hosting Services

- What It Means To Be Sure -

rhelfter@datapipe.com  | http://www.datapipe.com
Tel: 201.792.1918 x300 | Fax: 201-792-3090