defaultsearchbase

I have my defaultsearchbase set in 2.2.29 to my top level of
'dc=webtent,dcnet', but no client can acccess my entries unless they
have the base set. I just install phpldapadmin and it says 'Could not
determine the root of your LDAP tree. It appears that the LDAP server
has been configured to not reveal its root'.  I assume this has to do
with my access list, but I have this at the end of the list?

access to *
	by sockurl.regex="^ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fopenldap%2fldapi/$" write
	by group.exact="cn=Administrators,dc=webtent,dc=net" write
	by self write
	by * read

What else could cause the default not to work?

--
Robert