Re: slurpd quits running

sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:

[...]

There is nothing in the log file that I see wrong. It just says that the
services started correctly.  I did the following:

slapd -d 1

and my database is corrupt.  So I went to where the database is and did
this:

db_recover

I get a list of errors:

db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339336: invalid log record header
db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339391: invalid log record header
db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339336: invalid log record header
db_recover:  Recovery funciont for LSN 11 6339531 failed on forward pass
db_recover:  PANIC: No such file or directory
db_recover:  fatal region error detected; run recovery
.
.
.
.
db_recover:  fatal region error detected; run recovery
db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery

So, does this mean that my whole ldap database is messed up and I am out

It's probably too late by now; you might already have slapcatted, but if you simply delete the logfile or move it somewhere else and run 'db_recover -c' on the database, db_recover will most likely build a new, uncorrupted logfile. That's my experience, anyway.

You'll obviously now want to start looking at how you should make backups of your DB on a regular basis and test restoring them ;)

--Tonni

Let me ask this. This was my primary Samba/LDAP server. I have two others
that are my slave servers. As long as slurpd has been doing what it is
supposed to do, I could actually get on one of the slave servers, do a
slapcat from it and then go back to my main and slapadd it there couldn't
I? I got to looking at the slave and it had a file that had been updated
on the 8th of December, which is about the last time that I added a user. There was a file that was updated today also, but not sure why that is.

If that is ok, can I just copy the /var/lib/ldap directory to somewhere
else to make sure I have the original data backuped up somewhere?

Sorry that I am very new to all of this and asking these questions.

Thanks.
Scott

--
Tony Earnshaw