Re: slurpd quits running

>> --On Thursday, December 22, 2005 3:23 PM -0600 Scott Mayo
>> <sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us> wrote:
>>
>>> I had my main ldap server get turned off this morning without being
>>> properly shutdown.  Now when it starts up, it looks like ldap starts
>>> find, but does not seem to keep runnning.
>>>
>>> I can do a 'service ldap start' and it tells me that slapd and slurpd
>>> both start 'OK', but then if I do a 'service ldap status' right
>>> afterwards, it tells me that slapd is stopped, and slurpd is running.
>>>
>>> Any ideas of what I need to look at here?
>>
>> Neither of these commands are part of the OpenLDAP software
>> distribution,
>> so it is hard to say what the problem is.  I will note that slapd
>> generally
>> logs to syslog, so I'd check the syslog for errors, or see if the LDAP
>> output was directed elsewhere, and check that log.
>>
>> Generally, I'd suspect that you need to recover your database with the
>> appropriate db_recover before starting slapd, as you are likely using a
>> release prior to the OpenLDAP 2.3 series.
>>
>> --Quanah
>>
>> --
>> Quanah Gibson-Mount
>> Principal Software Developer
>> ITSS/Shared Services
>> Stanford University
>> GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html
>>

> There is nothing in the log file that I see wrong. It just says that the
> services started correctly.  I did the following:
>
> slapd -d 1
>
> and my database is corrupt.  So I went to where the database is and did
> this:
>
> db_recover
>
> I get a list of errors:
>
> db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339336: invalid log record header
> db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339391: invalid log record header
> db_recover:  dB_LOGC->get: LSN 11/6339336: invalid log record header
> db_recover:  Recovery funciont for LSN 11 6339531 failed on forward pass
> db_recover:  PANIC: No such file or directory
> db_recover:  fatal region error detected; run recovery
> .
> .
> .
> .
> db_recover:  fatal region error detected; run recovery
> db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
> recovery
>
> So, does this mean that my whole ldap database is messed up and I am out
> of luck?
> Thanks again.
> Scott

Let me ask this.  This was my primary Samba/LDAP server. I have two others
that are my slave servers.  As long as slurpd has been doing what it is
supposed to do, I could actually get on one of the slave servers, do a
slapcat from it and then go back to my main and slapadd it there couldn't
I?  I got to looking at the slave and it had a file that had been updated
on the 8th of December, which is about the last time that I added a user.
There was a file that was updated today also, but not sure why that is.

If that is ok, can I just copy the /var/lib/ldap directory to somewhere
else to make sure I have the original data backuped up somewhere?

Sorry that I am very new to all of this and asking these questions.

Thanks.
Scott