Re: RDN with UUID syntax?

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 20:10 +0100, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> It should be considered a bug: the string representation fails because
> the unparse functions assume the value is UTF8 unless the la_flags is
> ORed with LDAP_AVA_BINARY.  The value of entryUUID is not UTF8: it's a
> 16 octet binary.  The DN normalization functions of slapd __should__ OR
> the la_flags field with LDAP_AVA_BINARY for attributes with binary
> value.  Note that using the entryUUID in a DN is not in general a good
> idea, because you wouldn't be able to ldapadd it.

The above has nothing to do with the real issue.  entryUUID does just
fine when the pretty value of the DN is generated, but it fails when the
normalized value is generated.  The real issue, in my opinion, is that
we should distinguish between normalization tout court and string
representation of the normalized value.  The latter, for entryUUID,
corresponds to the pretty form, i.e. the pretty form is already
normalized.  Let me see if I can fix this easily.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution

SysNet s.n.c.