slapd doesn't notice completion of background index rebuilding

With OL 2.3.13 and an hdb or bdb backend, I've tried changing indexes
dynamically by LDAPModifying "cn=config" by deleting and adding attribute
values.  A slapd thread wakes up and rebuilds the index database and then
goes quiet again, but when I do a search that should hit the index, slapd
doesn't acknowledge the existance of the index.

Dec 15 10:04:41 shub.cc.utexas.edu slapd-entdir[22883]: [ID 618536 local3.debug] do_abandon: bad msgid 0
Dec 15 10:04:41 shub.cc.utexas.edu slapd-entdir[22883]: [ID 925615 local3.debug] <= bdb_equality_candidates: (uid) index_param failed (18)

then slapd grinds away through the full directory until it finds and
returns the matching entries.

Restarting slapd fixes the problem, but I assume there is supposed to be
some sort of message-passing internal to slapd that isn't happening when
the index is done rebuilding.  Waiting long periods of time or adding
additional indexable entries doesn't change matters.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone else had this problem?

Moreover, I just noticed that if I try to use an attribute 'replace' on
olcDbIndex, the server crashes immediately!  That can't be right...

--
Eric Irrgang - UT Austin ITS Unix Systems - (512)475-9342