[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: master ldap database is not getting populated

I actually tried restarting slapd but wasn't successfull.
   Anyways when i do slapcat there are entries like timestamps that gets created in the ldif file. slapadd will complain about these. Is there a way to export the database without those, or should i do the cleanup

Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

--On Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:01 PM -0800 Moe wrote:

> Thanks for this clarification. I believe that i didn't recover my
> database properly. slapd was not starting. When this happened, i delete
> all the log files and db__ and i did db_recover -v. slapd started after i
> did that and when i did the search i was getting less entries as expected.
> Is there a suggested way of recovery that i can try ?


You are correct that you recovered incorrectly. You in fact made recovery 
impossible, and helped to corrupt your database. The "db_recover" command 
needs the log files and the database environment to be present to run 
recovery correctly. You should never, ever delete the (in-use) log files 
unless you are going to be completely reloading your database. Also, on 
OpenLDAP 2.3, there is no need to run db_recover manually. Simply restart 
slapd, and it'll recover things for you.

The best thing to do for you at this point, is to export the database on 
your slave via slapcat, and then wipe out your master and slapadd the 
database there.


Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services
Stanford University
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html


Yahoo! Shopping
 Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Yahoo! Shopping