DB_PRIVATE Error OpenLDAP 2.3.13 (source) and DB4 4.2.52 (rpm)

I everyone, I'm very new to openldap, and of course I'm having problems installing
openldap.

How do I install openldap so that I don't get the DB_PRIVATE
error message when running `make test`?

When I check the log from slapd.1.log I see the following

    backend_startup_one: starting "cn=config"
    backend_startup_one: starting "o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet"
    bdb_db_open: o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet
    bdb_db_open: Warning - No DB_CONFIG file found in directory ./testrun/db.1.a: (2)
    Expect poor performance for suffix o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet.
    bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(./testrun/db.1.a)
    bdb(o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet): Berkeley DB library configured to support only DB_PRIVATE environments
    bdb(o=OpenLDAP Project,l=Internet): Berkeley DB library configured to support only DB_PRIVATE environments
    bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Invalid argument (22)
    backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (22)

I have searched hi and low and found something in the maillist archives here
http://www.openldap.org/cgi-bin/wilma_hiliter/openldap-software/200512/msg00053.html?line=22#hilite
and I tried to follow Howard Chu's diff file but it seems his file that he was referencing
has changed from the current version, so its hard to make the necessary changes.

I have CentOS 4.2 installed with db4-4.2.52-7.1.rpm along with the devel, utils installed.  I'm compiling
Openldap 2.3.13 and I don't see any linking problems, at least not that I can see.

If this more of a BerkeleyDB issue then let me know.  But I do see some evidence that its an openldap
issue as well.

Thanks for you time,
Matt