Slurpd causes kernel panic due to huge replog file?

Hi!

A couple of days ago my master LDAP server's IP address changed. After the change I forgot to open ports on my firewall to allow replication of my LDAP directory with my slave LDAP server. Due to this, requests to slave server were written to master server's LDAP directory, but replication of master server's directory to slave server didn't succeed. As a result, my replog file size did grow until reached it's maximum size on my master server's filesystem. After I noticed that replication doesn't work, I located the problem to firewall sttings and fixed that. I restarted my slapd and slurpd daemons, and I saw replication requests processed until all memory vere consumed on my master system and system crashed with kernel panic. Several times.

I'm not sure, but I assume that the size of replog file was too big and my system has not enough memory (1GB RAM + 1GB swap). The memory were consumed little by little as replication proceeded, until I run out of memory.

Next I backed up replog file and splitted the original file into smaller bits, which I successfully replicated on my slave server's LDAP directory with slurpd.

So, my question is, if anyone has encounter similar situation? Could the reason really be the size of replog file, or corrupted replog file? That's all I could think of. If so, is there any way to split replog file into smaller slices of some maximum size (depending of your filesystem limitations) if needed, e.g. slapd.replog.0, slapd.replog.1, ... slapd.replog.n, which could be replicated one after another (e.g. *.0,*.1, ..., *.n)?

I've tried to find something like that from OpenLDAP documentation, but to be honest, I found it very concise.

In fact, I suppose it wouldn't be very difficult to make such a changed to OpenLDAP code... maybe I'll try.

... and I'm using RHEL4 on both master and slave servers (kernel 2.6.9-22) and OepnLDAP 2.2.13-4.

Jukka Hienola

--
IT Services Administrator, Department of Physical Sciences,
University of Helsinki, firstname.lastname (a) helsinki.fi,