Problem binding two naming contexts

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.3.11 and I'd like to set up this server
to serve a single base (naming doesn't really matter) which
retrieves entries from a local BDB backend as well as a foreign
LDAP backend.

If I try do make the foreign back-ldap subordinate of my
naming context, an ldapsearch retrieves the desired values, but
only on the very first invocation after starting the local
server; on subsequent invocations it doesn't return the entries
previously found. I have

  database        ldap
  overlay rwm
  uri             "ldap://ldap1.example.com/ ldap://ldap2.example.com/";
  rwm-suffixmassage   "ou=People,dc=other,dc=com"  "ou=People,dc=example,dc=com"
  suffix          "ou=People,dc=other,dc=com"
  subordinate
  rwm-map             attribute uid           *
  rwm-map             attribute cn            *
  rwm-map             attribute sn            *
  rwm-map             attribute givenname     *
  rwm-map             attribute mail          *
  rwm-map             attribute telephonenumber *
  rwm-map             attribute usercertificate;binary *
  rwm-map             attribute *
  rwm-map             objectclass person      *
  rwm-map             objectclass inetorgperson       *
  rwm-map             objectclass *
  lastmod         off

  database        bdb
  suffix          "dc=other,dc=com"
  rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=other,dc=com"

Alternatively, I tried binding the two backends with back-meta as in

  database        bdb
  suffix          "dc=other,dc=com"
  ..

  database        ldap
  overlay rwm
  uri             "ldap://ldap1.example.com/ ldap://ldap2.example.com/";
  suffix          "dc=example,dc=com"

  database      meta
  suffix        "dc=foo,dc=com"
  overlay rwm

  uri           "ldap://localhost/dc=other,dc=com";
  default-target
  rwm-suffixmassage "dc=foo,dc=com" "dc=other,dc=com"

  uri           "ldap://localhost/dc=example,dc=com";
  rwm-suffixmassage "dc=foo,dc=com" "dc=example,dc=com"

hoping to find the content of both DSA under dc=foo,dc=com, but
that doesn't work for me.

What am I doing wrong? I'd like a single search base (o=anything)
to find entries under both naming contexts.

Thanks & regards,
	-JP