Re: Summary of differences between OpenLDAP 2.2 and 2.3?

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 15:44 -0500, Aaron Richton wrote:
> Perhaps a starting point:
>
> http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/Attic/ANNOUNCEMENT.diff?hideattic=1&r1=text&tr1=1.14.6.11&r2=text&tr2=1.14.4.8&f=h
>
> I think one huge win is the overlays, which are mentioned in whole as
> ANNOUNCEMENT

Overlays were introduced in 2.2; we used to put as much care as possible
in making our custom overlays, although typically developed for 2.3,
compatible with both versions.  Of course I'm not talking about deeply
rooted overlays that exploit minor version dependent fetures, like the
"glue" or the "syncprov" overlays.  A clear example is the "ppolicy",
developed by Howard, which is not distributed with 2.2 (it was already
feature frozen) but can be backported and compiled straightforwardly.

In this area, I think the big jump is that overlays can be placed also
at the frontend, so they can intercept operations __before__ database
selection.  The next big jumps could be:
- they take control __before__ protocol consistency checks (so they can
be used to repair broken client PDUs or to handle non-standard stuff
like value ranges, ITS#3193)
- they take control __inside__ a database hook after the database
acquired resources and before they are released
<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200507/msg00090.html>

p.

> but each individually represent a significant function. The
> rewritten syncrepl, auto-{h,b}db-recovery, back-config/back-ldif, and the
> numerous bug/leak/etc. fixes also are nice.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution

SysNet s.n.c.
Via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA