Re: openldap-server-2.2.29: multimaster support

> Does the FAQ entry about multi-master replication* need to be updated?
> What about the draft "LDAP Multi-master Replication Considered Harmful"?
> In fact I'd like to know if multi-master replication with syncrepl can be
> considered as sure or if it is harmful too.

I only use sycnrepl to achieve high availability (by combining with heartbeat), I
haven't tested it as a true multi-master environment.  It just seems likely to me
that it might work, but I don't have the time personally to mess with it.  Please
do feel free to try it out. :)  Personally, I agree with Zeilenga's draft.

I can't think of a situation in which multi-master replication would actually make
any sense anyway.  (The closest scenario I can think of is a load-balanced
configuration, but even then, you can't rely on each side of the cluster to be up
to date at any given point in time since replication is asynchronous.)

John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer
Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana