Re: openldap-server-2.2.29: multimaster support

> Does the FAQ entry about multi-master replication* need to be updated?
> What about the draft "LDAP Multi-master Replication Considered Harmful"?
>
> In fact I'd like to know if multi-master replication with syncrepl can be
> considered as sure or if it is harmful too.

I only use sycnrepl to achieve high availability (by combining with heartbeat), I
haven't tested it as a true multi-master environment.  It just seems likely to me
that it might work, but I don't have the time personally to mess with it.  Please
do feel free to try it out. :)  Personally, I agree with Zeilenga's draft.

I can't think of a situation in which multi-master replication would actually make
any sense anyway.  (The closest scenario I can think of is a load-balanced
configuration, but even then, you can't rely on each side of the cluster to be up
to date at any given point in time since replication is asynchronous.)

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer