Re: Slapd (OpenLDAP v2.3.11) Hangs Using 100% CPU Upon Start Up

--On Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:54 AM -0800 Rik Herrin <rikherrin@yahoo.com> wrote:

Aaron, Quanah, Thanks for your input. It turned out to be a bdb issue. However, I was under the assumption that OpenLDAP v2.3.x automatically ran db_recover by putting it in /etc/init.d/ldap2.3. When I ran slapcat2.3 to see if the DB was okay (I know that there are other ways, but slapcat2.3 was the quickest thing since I thought that db_recover had already been run), it seemed to work and then it told me that it was trying to fix the database because it wasn't in a good state. CPU Utilization went up to 100% and stracing it showed that it was in an infinite loop of sched_yield() = 0 as well

OpenLDAP 2.3 *automatically* recovers the database. By running db_recover manually in addition to the slapd startup doing it, you are likely corrupting your database.

Quanah:
     I set the cachesize to 6000 as it will likely grow.  Are there any
bad side effects?  I thought that it was better to have it larger than
the number of entries than just stick to the exact number of entries.
     Finally, I'd love to use Buchan's BDB build.  But it wasn't included
with the Mandriva packages that he posted.  Is it posted elsewhere?

Sadly, I don't know a whole lot about Buchan's builds, other than they are quite superior to what RedHat ships. The thing RedHat's BDB build would be missing is the OL related BDB patch shipped with 2.3.11. However, it won't be necessary with 2.3.12 anymore, so that is only a short term problem anyhow.

The cachesize bit will probably have little effect, although if you use back-config rather than slapd.conf, you could always modify it on the fly over time...

Thanks for your valuable input.

:)

--Quanah

--