ldap died, can't recover _URGENT, please help

Hi all,

I have an OpenLDAP box running as a PDC on an 800 user network. So far, so
good, it's been up and running for a couple of months and has worked fine but
I now find that the /var/lib/ldap directory is full of log.0000000xxx files
and LDAP has hung. How do I cure this? Is it OK to delete some of the log
files and restart LDAP or do I have to clean up with a tool.

I need this up tomorrow (it's a school) and I don't want to end up installing
server 2003 with my tail between my legs.

Cheers,

jools