Re: Questions on supporting multiple naming contexts in the slapd.conf

re: questions 1 and 4 - see the slapd.conf(5) man page, "suffix" keyword.
re: 2 - see slapd.conf(5).
0 and 3 - already answered by Quanah's reply.

Krishna Ganugapati wrote:
Hello,

I have some newbie questions on the slapd.conf and support for multiple
naming contexts/directory partitions

I want to have two partitions

1) dc=marakicorp,dc=com

2) cn=subcontainer,dc=marakicorp,dc=com

Is the following slapd.conf valid

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=marakicorp,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=marakicorp,dc=com"
rootpw          secret
directory       %LOCALSTATEDIR%/openldap-data
# Indices to maintain
index   objectClass     eq

database 	bdb
suffix 	  	"cn=subcontainer,dc=marakicorp,dc=com
rootdn		"cn=Manager,dc=marakicorp,dc=com
rootpw		secret
directory	%LOCALSTATEDIR%/openldap-data
index		objectClass eq

Here are my questions

0) Can I use the same type of backend (bdb) for both naming contexts?
I'm assuming that this is valid.

1) The second naming context is rooted at an object that is a "logical"
child of the suffix of the first naming context - is this acceptable to
do?

2) The rootdn (Manager dn) for both naming contexts is a dn which is
found in the first naming context "cn=Manager,dc=marakicorp,dc=com

3) The database location (directory) is the same for both naming
contexts - I'm not particular that the same store be used for both
naming contexts - I'm okay with separate database stores, but would like
to clarify if this is doable.

4) I don't expect the second naming context root object
(cn=Subcontainer,dc=marakicorp,dc=com) be reachable from the first
naming context, but presumably if there is a referral object in the
first naming context that "refers" me to the second naming context, I
would be able to spelunk from the first naming context into the second.

Could someone clarify if my assumptions here are accurate?

Thanks so much

Krishna

--
 -- Howard Chu