Re: Duplicate attributeType

--On Monday, November 07, 2005 12:55 PM -0500 Jason Lixfeld <jason+lists.openldap@lixfeld.ca> wrote:

So I'm not quite sure what's going on here.  I try to start slapd, I  get
a "Duplicate attributeType error, but there is only one attribute  in all
included schema which is using that OID.  The actual entry cn  attribute
type entry in core.schema looks like this:

attributetype ( 2.5.4.3 NAME ( 'cn' 'commonName' )
         DESC 'RFC2256: common name(s) for which the entity is known by'
         SUP name )

More stuff below...

root@oob1# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh start
Starting slapd.
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema: line 82: Duplicate
attributeType: "2.5.4.3"
root@oob1# grep "2.5.4.3 " /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/*
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema:attributetype ( 2.5.4.3  NAME
( 'cn' 'commonName' )
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema.default:#attributetype  (
2.5.4.3 NAME ( 'cn' 'commonName' )
root@oob1# grep include /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/authldap.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/qmail.schema6
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
root@oob1#

Any ideas?

It looks to me like you modified the core.schema file to uncomment cn. Modifying the schema files shipped with openldap is a very bad idea. Some of the attributes are hard coded into the server (like cn) and that is why they are commented out. I suggest replacing your core.schema file with core.schema.default.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer