Refactoring LDAPSync API out of slapd (Was: asynchronous event notification?)

> At present, libldap does not include convenience functions for
> most (any?) of these extensions... however, convenience functions
> are certainly not necessary to make use of any of these extensions
> (with a server that supports them).  One can encode and
> decode the necessary protocol elements using base functions
> provided in libldap.
>
> As slapd(8) does implement the client side of LDAP Sync, it would
> be nice to extract out its LDAP Sync encoding/decoding functions
> into libldap convenience functions.  But until then, that would
> be your LDAP sync example code (e.g., slapd/syncrepl.c).

As far as I can see, slapd/syncrepl.c already contains a
ldap_sync_search() function, which acts as a LDAPSync asynchronous
request.  Maybe it could be renamed ldap_sync_search_x(), so that
ldap_sync_search() corresponds to ldap_sync_search_x() when a NULL context
is passed.

What's not yet isolated is a corresponding result parse function, which is
currently embedded in do_syncrep2().

The rest of the API should take care of filling the syncinfo_t structure,
which should likely be as opaque as possible much like LDAP (LDAPSync?).

(Better move this to -devel, anyway).

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati