Re: Need a bit of help grokking logs

Sorry all - problem was that the user OX was connecting as did not have read permissions on that part of the OX LDAP schema.

Fran Fabrizio wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out why a search isn't finding a record in my directory. Here's the target record...

----------------------
# cars, ResourceGroups, ResourceObjects, OxObjects, cis.uab.edu
dn: resourceGroupName=cars,ou=ResourceGroups,ou=ResourceObjects,ou=OxObjects,dc=cis,dc=uab,dc=edu

objectClass: top
objectClass: OXResourceGroupObject
resourceGroupName: cars
resourceGroupAvailable: TRUE
resourceGroupMember: car1
-----------------------

(The Ox prefix indicates this is data for the Open-Xchange application.)
Now, turning on debug level 288, I see the following search hit the LDAP server when I try to search for this within OX...

-----------------------
begin get_filter
EQUALITY
end get_filter 0
conn=7 op=2 SRCH base="ou=ResourceGroups,ou=ResourceObjects,ou=OxObjects,dc=cis,dc=uab,dc=edu" scope=1 deref=3 filter="(objectClass=OXResourceGroupObject)"
conn=7 op=2 SRCH attr=resourceGroupName
=> bdb_filter_candidates
EQUALITY
<= bdb_filter_candidates: id=0 first=0 last=0
=> bdb_filter_candidates
AND
=> bdb_list_candidates 0xa0
=> bdb_filter_candidates
EQUALITY
<= bdb_filter_candidates: id=3 first=39 last=65
<= bdb_list_candidates: id=3 first=39 last=65
<= bdb_filter_candidates: id=3 first=39 last=65
=> test_filter
EQUALITY
<= test_filter 50
=> test_filter
EQUALITY
<= test_filter 50
=> test_filter
EQUALITY
<= test_filter 50
conn=7 op=2 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=0 text=

So the search base, filter and attribute all appear to match the target record. But I see that the nentries=0 which would tell me that no records were found and from the application layer it's definitely not returning any results. I'm sure there are other clues within this output that I am missing. Can anyone see why it might be failing to find the above record?

Thanks,
Fran

PS - Would be happy to find and read some documentation on parsing openldap logs in general - is there a good resource?

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst