Re: DB_CONFIG with growing data sets

--On Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:56 AM +0000 Leigh Porter <leighldap@leighporter.org> wrote:

Hiya all,

I have not actually had a problem with this yet but was wondering what
you do with DB_CONFIG
with a growing directory. i.e. you configure DB_CONFIG for your tree with
suitable sizes for your
growth predictions, fine. Then the tree grows and grows and I guess you
change DB_CONFIG to
reflect this. Presumably when you restart slapd the new DB_CONFIG is read
and all is well.

So, when you create the initial DB_CONFIG if you have enough memory is it
good practice to configure
it so that it uses as much memory as you can spare to contain your
growing directory or should you
continually change DB_CONFIG (the frequency of this depends on your
directory growth rate)
to reflect the size of your directory?

I would configure DB_CONFIG to handle my current size + some set of estimated growth. It is a file that will need periodic tuning if you have a database that grows over time. ;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer