Re: Corrupt LDAP DB ...

--On Monday, October 31, 2005 9:15 AM +0200 "C.Lee Taylor" <leet@leenx.co.za> wrote:

Greetings ...

	Thank you to everybody, whom has put there 2c worth in ... Distro
discussions aside, I was hoping I put a little more in here ...

[snip]
 >>> Started and stopped correctly, do you mean running slapd with
 >>> options to
 >>> start and then kill -9 slapd ... Is this incorrect or is there a
 >>> better way to shutdown slapd?
 >>
 >> Using kill -9 on slapd is the same as causing an abnormal shutdown.
 >>  If you
 >> are using kill -9, then you are likely the cause of your data
 >> corruption.
 >
 > More generally: You should *never* use -9 (SIGKILL) on *any* process
 > unless all other measures have failed.  SIGKILL causes the process to
 > be terminated without it being given the chance to exit cleanly.
 > Particularly for anything with persistent data store, such as a
 > directory service (LDAP) or database server, killing the server daemon
 > with SIGKILL will likely result in corrupted data.
[snip]
	Okay, but then what is the correct signal to give slapd to shutdown
nicely?  This could be half the problem ...

I suggest you re-read my response. I said what signal to use.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer