Re: Corrupt LDAP DB ...

On 29/10/05, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 19:04 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 October 2005 18:23, C.Lee Taylor wrote:
> > > Greetings ...
> > >
> > >     Thanks for you input ...

> > >     Thanks, found it.

> > >     Well, can't have everything for free and expect it to be perfect, where
> > > would the fun be in that ...
> >
> > Whether you pay RedHat or not, you still get bad OpenLDAP packages.
> >
> > Other distros have better packages for free (or for pay).
> >
> ----
> RHEL 4 comes with a patched up 2.2.13 and it has worked well enough for
> me where I've used it so far. On RHEL 3 systems, I definitely have
> manually installed the latest 2.2.x version of ldap from source. It's
> not that it's so much work, it's sometimes just not worth it for a small
> place / light duty.

2.2.13 + RHEL4  for me was a disaster. Database was hanging every 2-3 weeks.

> You are really tough on Red Hat - perhaps somewhat deserved, perhaps
> not.

But he is right. OpenLDAP in RHEL was always old and crappy.
Distribution is not well prepared to be an OpenLDAP server. Why? Ask
google for 2.2.13 and RHEL - you'll read that it was really bad
release. And where are RHEL updates for OpenLDAP?! When there is no
support for a target software then there is no distribution for target
purposes.

I have one replica running on Gentoo - no problems (as for now it's 58 days).

Michal