Re: Corrupt LDAP DB ...

--On Friday, October 28, 2005 8:38 AM +0200 "C.Lee Taylor" <leet@leenx.co.za> wrote:

Whether you pay RedHat or not, you still get bad OpenLDAP packages.
	What makes it's bad?  Compiler? Patches? Init scripts? Version?  I would
really like to see my choice of distro, with a good implementation of
LDAP ... So I would like to try and find the problem here.

RedHat typically sticks with very old OpenLDAP releases for a very long time. For example, they stuck with OpenLDAP 2.0.x for many many years, long after it was deprecated, causing major headaches for people using RedHat.

Other distros have better packages for free (or for pay).
	Which ones, I would like to try and figure this out, and maybe help fix
it in the long run.

Mandriva comes to mind.

	Then we move the DB dir to a backup location and create the complete DB
structure from scratch,
When a simple db_recover might fix it instead?
	I will look at this, maybe add it to me set of scripts and monitor how
well that works.

The point of db_recover is to recover the database after an abnormal shut down.

Using Fedora's default packages.
	Now that is helpful.  Again, what do you think might improve their
packages?

No you aren't, this has been discussed a few times.
	I searched the archives and found only one other thread regarding
corrupt LDAP DB's, unless it was listed as not accessible or something
like that.

I suggest searching for RedHat. The problems with RedHat have been discussed many many times.

If it is configured well (checkpoints, DB_CONFIG file) and
started/stopped  correctly, with database recovery when necessary, it
won't.
	I have said in another mail, that I believe that the default conf should
be data integrity verse performance.

Your belief that DB_CONFIG is purely related to performance is incorrect. Not having a DB_CONFIG file is actually known to lead to data corruption and other problems because the defaults set by SleepyCat are pathetically small. Every DS I've messed with (Netscape, SunOne, and OpenLAP) require proper tuning of the database to function properly. Whether it is the config database of Netscape/SunOne/RedHat, the database parameters to ldbm in OpenLDAP, or the DB_CONFIG file for OpenLDAP, this is always necessary if you want to have a viable service.

	Started and stopped correctly, do you mean running slapd with options to
start and then kill -9 slapd ... Is this incorrect or is there a better
way to shutdown slapd?

Using kill -9 on slapd is the same as causing an abnormal shutdown. If you are using kill -9, then you are likely the cause of your data corruption. A normal kill, or kill -INT, are the proper ways to shut down slapd, as it allows it to close out the database before exiting.

You said in a previous email that you knew how to run OpenLDAP and had been for some time. However your emails continue to show this is not the case. I strongly urge you to really pay attention to the advice you are being given from this list instead of continuing to ignore the suggestions (like DB_CONFIG).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer