Where do I find the definition for top

I've been looking through the schema code for slapd including the schema files and cannot find a definition for top. I was assuming that I would find a

objectclass (2.5.6.0 NAME 'top' ABSTRACT
          MUST objectClass )

in core.schema - but I cannot find any definition for top. Is this prewired in the source by default?

My second question is that the schema files indicate  that you have to have core.schema as a minimum but all others are optional - is this accurate?

I'm trying to create my own organizational schema  and I want to start with the minimum that slapd requires?

could someone comment on my questions?

Thanks very much

Krishna