Implementing password aging

Looking at Google, there is a lot of conflicting information about whether password aging is supported from OpenLDAP.

I personally thought that this was more a function of pam_ldap than of openldap itself, but there's lots of chatter out there as to which ldap servers support it.

Assuming I have a schema that has password aging fields (we use shadowAccount as an objectClass for our user entries, for example) how would I implement password aging, and would it be done within openldap or with pam_ldap?

Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham