Re: how to best create a new slave server?

I never used SyncRepl, but after reading about it, I somehow feel that changes are replicated to the slaves not when the changes are made on the master (which is almost immediate with slurpd), but when a slave wants, i.e. slave queries the master several times an hour (and causing unneeded traffic sometimes, especially when there are many slaves).

Certainly you can configure it to do that. But that's not your only option. I use syncrepl with refreshandpersist and the changes are almost immediate.

If you do decide to have it only request changes every so often, that still isn't a lot of traffic.