Dual bind, single unbind?

Hi everyone,

I am currently writing a Munin [1] [2] plugin for OpenLDAP, using the slapd-monitor backend. To be able to interpret and properly visualize the statistics collected, I need to better understand some aspects of how slapd works (and as such, this is probably not my last post to the list :)

Among the parameters that are graphed are the "cn=operations, dc=monitor" branch. Here, the "bind" and "unbind" operations are counted. However, I find that quite a few more binds than unbinds take place. The log shows me the following, for most binds/unbinds (the log extract is trimmed for readability):

slapd[28594]: op=0 BIND dn="cn=adm,dc=acme,dc=com" method=128
slapd[28594]: op=0 BIND dn="cn=adm,dc=acme,dc=com" mech=SIMPLE ssf=0
slapd[28594]: op=2 UNBIND

To me it seems like the bind operation is registered twice, which (from a "how many binds has been performed" state of view) somewhat confuses the statistics.

How should this be interpreted? What really happens and what is the reason for these "double binds"?

Thank you,

--
Bjørn

[1] http://www.linpro.no/projects/munin/ (old web site)