Re: How to raise the open file descriptor limit for slapd?

I was able to get past the fd limit on Linux. Aside from the /etc/security/limits.conf mod:
* soft nofile 4096
* hard nofile 4096

You need to add to /etc/pam.d/other
session    required   pam_limits.so

Then restart your slapd process.

David Landgren wrote:

Karsten Gorling wrote:
>>I have a fairly heavily used openldap-2.2.28 server in production and I
>>am running into the 1024 fd descriptor limit. From time to time I get
>>  1024 beyond descriptor table limit 1024
> That is more an OS issue than an OpenLDAP-Issue. Which OS are you
> using? On Linux look up the file /etc/security/limits.conf.

It is Linux as it happens. We added

*       hard    nofile  4096

to /etc/security/limits.conf at the same time that we added

        ulimit -n 4096

to the init.d script for ldap. All this did was to change the syslog
error message from

   daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)

   daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor table size 1024

which to me smells like a recompilation is required. If there's another
way I'd love to hear about it.

"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."

Robert Petkus

Brookhaven National Laboratory
Physics Dept. - Bldg. 510A
Upton, New York 11973