subordinate referrals for an OpenLDAP->AD

We were looking at proxy or subordinate referrals for an OpenLDAP->AD
integration.

On subordinate referrals I found that not all the applications I tried to
integrate work well with it (none actually).

For proxies the issue I found was that I could not proxy to a name that was
a superset of the base dn.  For example if I had a base dn of
"dc=example,dc=com" then I could not proxy to another server via
"dc=internal,dc=example,dc=com", but I could do
"dc=internal,dc=example2,dc=com".

If there is something I missed and this can be done I would be very curious
to know.