Re: Tweaking "threads"

Ben Beuchler wrote:

> Our LDAP directory contains around 1400 entries and is used as
> authentication for around 300 OS X workstations and 1100 email
> accounts.  This results in just shy of 200,000 individual binds in a
> 24 hour period.  Is it silly for me to think that I may need that many
> threads?  Or is it more likely that I didn't really fix that timeout
> problem and, as a result, am hanging on to threads much longer than I
> should?
>
> I'm suspicious that individual LDAP sessions may be sticking around a
> lot longer than they should, as I am seeing a *lot* more "BIND" log
> entries than I am "UNBIND".  For example:
>
> swizzle:/var/log# grep ' BIND' slapd.log|wc -l
> 142308
> swizzle:/var/log# grep ' UNBIND' slapd.log|wc -l
> 36520
>
> Thanks for any input you may have!
>
> -Ben
>
> ====================
> Current DB_CONFIG settings:
> ====================
>
> swizzle:/var/log# egrep -v '(^#|^$)' /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG
> set_cachesize   0 8388608 0
> set_lg_bsize    524288
> set_lk_max_objects      5000
> set_lk_max_locks        5000
> set_lk_max_lockers      5000

What does 'db_stat -m -h /var/lib/ldap' say?

> ====================
> DB settings from slapd.conf:
> ====================
> backend     bdb
> checkpoint 512 30
> cachesize = 2000
> idlcachesize = 6000

You don't show any information on which attributes you are indexing ...
have you checked that all the search filters clients are using have all
the attributes which are used for searching indexed appropriately?

It may also be an idea to deny searches on attributes you don't index ..
(via ACLs).

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                              Systems Architect
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng          RHCE (803004789010797),LPIC-1 (LPI000074592)