Re: Fault-tolerance for master OpenLDAP server

--On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:55 PM -0400 Samuel Tran <stran@amnh.org> wrote:

You're thinking about this wrong. You want one master server and two
loadbalanced slave servers, or loadbalance the master/slave for requests
and only do updates on the master. It was designed to be pretty fault
taulerant, and drdb kinda sucks (takes forever).

There are plenty of loadbalancers out there, but I've had good experences
with zeus's zxtm, foundry server irons, and heard good things about
'balance'.

Hi Nick,

I have already a setup that includes one master and several slaves that
are load balanced using Keepalived (http://www.keepalived.org). This has
served me very well for a year.

What I want now is to have a second master that would take over if the
primary master goes down, i.e. reduce the time it would take to have a new
master fully operational.

Thanks for your input on DRBD anyway.

A slave that is using the same database as the master should be reconfigurable via a very small shell script to become a master in a matter of seconds.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html