Alias dereferencing not working..

Hi.

I'm attempting to set up an alias in our directory, so that I can have two users with the same credentials but different UIDs, or multiple mail aliases with the same member list.

To test this, I've created the following entry:

       dn: uid=test,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org
       aliasedObjectName: uid=jacob,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org
       uid: test
       objectClass: alias
       objectClass: uidObject
       objectClass: top

I can find this, and the entry it points to, using a search without dereferencing:

ldapsearch -LL -H ldaps://ldap.flirble.org:636/ -a never -b "ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org" '(|(uid=test)(uid=jacob))'
version: 1

   dn: uid=jacob,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org
   uid: jacob
   sn: Scott
   ( etc...)

   dn: uid=test,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org
   aliasedObjectName: uid=jacob,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org
   uid: test
   objectClass: alias
   objectClass: uidObject
   objectClass: top

However, when I search for uid=test,ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org, with "searching" or "always", it doesn't return anything:

ldapsearch -LL -H ldaps://ldap.flirble.org:636/ -a always -b "ou=users,dc=flirble,dc=org" '(uid=test)'
version: 1

I've set "maxderefdepth   5" in the "database bdb" section of slad.conf.

Am I just being dumb, or should it be returning my user entry here?...

Server version is 2.2.27.

Many thanks in advance,

Jake