RE: ldap backup

Good day,

Additionally, for a BDB backend, you can also back up the database files
while slapd is running.  This is less resource intensive and works well for
a large database.

The procedure I've used, gathered from the Sleepycat page, is basically:

1) Copy your .bdb files and your DB_CONFIG file to a backup location.
There's a sleepycat tool to identify db files in a directory, but it won't
identify some files in some certain situations, so I believe it's best just
to grab files by extension.

2) THEN copy your "log" files, lowest IDs first, to the same location.

The order of copying is crucial!

Make absolutely sure you run slapd_db_recover on this data prior to starting
slapd (this is a good idea to do anyway)!

Feel free to correct this if I've missed something here! :)

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW