NEWBIE: LDAP authentication via non-rootdn

Hi,

I've perused the archive and online docs, and I think I'm doing the right
thing, but I still can't connect to the (windows) openldap server via an
LDAP user other than rootdn.

database	bdb
Suffix	"dc=onrelay,dc=com"
rootdn	"cn=Manager,dc=onrelay,dc=com"
rootpw	eMssEUg2yRt
directory	C:/BaseCamp/Deploy/OpenLDAP/var/openldap-data
access	to * by dn.children="ou=services,dc=onrelay,dc=com" write

Relevant entries:

dn: ou=services, dc=onrelay,dc=com
ou: services
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit

dn: cn=mbx, ou=services, dc=onrelay,dc=com
userPassword:: <see rest of posting>
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
sn: mbx
cn: mbx

The cleartext password is 'mbx'.

I have tried various combinations of passwords from ldapwhoami and the
userPassword field using SHA, SSHA and cleartext - no joy yet, hence this
posting. Note that connecting with rootdn/rootpw works fine.

What am I doing wrong? What is the right combination of credentials
(userPassword field in LDAP and password in ldapwhoami)?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Thomas