LDAP replication with SLURPD

I'm doing replication between two redhat linux machines
The slapd for the master looks like this:

database bdb
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn "cn=moe,dc=example,dc=com"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid. See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw secret
replogfile /usr/local/var/openldap/slapd.replog
replica uri=ldap://192.168.1.16:389
binddn="cn=replica,dc=example,dc=com"
bindmethod=simple credentials=secret

# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-data
# Indices to maintain
index objectClass eq

The slave is the same (no replica replica and replogfile directive) with an updatedn entry
updatedn "cn=replica,dc=elawsbs,dc=local"

I gave the replica write access to everthing:
access to *
by dn.base="cn=replica,dc=elawsbs,dc=local" write

Replication does not work. When i replace replica with the rootdn, replication works fine. It seems replica cann't write to the slave database. Im not sure if that's how i should give replica access.
I even added a replica entry in the database but it still does not work

Thanks

Moe