Re: dbenv_open() never returns for BDB database

> can now run the config test ok but the daemon still fails to start
> up:
>

> [root@flyjack ldap]# service ldap configtest

^^^ this is not part of OpenLDAP software

> Checking configuration files for slapd:  config file testing succeeded
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> [root@flyjack ldap]# service ldap start

^^^ this is not part of OpenLDAP software

> Checking configuration files for slapd:  config file testing succeeded
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting slapd:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root@flyjack ldap]# service ldap status

^^^ this is not part of OpenLDAP software

> slapd is stopped
>

> If I run 'slaptest -d -1' the last few lines are:
>

> bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/ldap)
> config file testing succeeded
> slaptest shutdown: freeing system resources.
> bdb(dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name): Database handles remain at environment
> close
> bdb(dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name): Open database handle: dn2id.bdb
> bdb(dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name): Open database handle: id2entry.bdb
> bdb_db_destroy: close failed: Invalid argument (22)
>

> I also tried running db_recover with '-c' (catastrophic recovery). No
> dice.

I suggest you first try without those commands that are not part of
OpenLDAP software (and thus we don't know what else they do other than
supposedly testing slapd's config file and starting slapd).

In case the problem persists, I suggest you post what happens __first__,
rather than what happens __after__ the database environment has already
been disrupted.

In case the problem disappears, I suggest you either contact the
distributors of those scripts, or investigate yourself what actions they
take that disrupt the environment of the database.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it