Re: ref

slapd(8) supports use of 'ref' operational attribute
as discussed in RFC 3296.  The use you describe does
not appear to be compatible nor supported.  Normally,
references such as you discuss would be provided
via user application attributes, such as seeAlso,
and managed purely by the directory application.

Kurt