dbenv_open() never returns for BDB database

Hello.

I noticed the other day that openldap had not started up on my Fedora
Core 4 box. When I run:

slaptest -d -1

my config files are fine but slaptest stalls on checking my database.
The last bit of logging is:

slaptest startup: initiated.
backend_startup: starting "dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name"
bdb_db_open: dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/ldap)

then nothing (slaptest never returns). Similarly, 'service ldap start'
gets as far as 'Checking configuration files for slapd' and never
returns.

My /var/lib/ldap looks like this:

[root@flyjack ldap]# ls -lah
total 4.8M
drwx------   2 ldap ldap 4.0K Jun 18 12:30 .
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 4.0K Jun 18 11:54 ..
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 124K Jul  4 04:03 cn.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  24K Jun 18 12:22 __db.001
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 272K Jun 18 12:22 __db.002
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  96K Jun 18 12:22 __db.003
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 440K Jun 18 12:22 __db.004
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  24K Jun 18 12:22 __db.005
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  72K Jul  3 13:17 dn2id.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  24K Jul  3 13:17 givenName.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 256K Jul 18 04:03 id2entry.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  10M Jul 27 07:46 log.0000000001
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 160K Jul  8 04:03 mail.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  40K Jul  4 04:03 objectClass.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap 8.0K Jun 18 12:30 ou.bdb
-rwx------   1 ldap ldap  80K Jul  4 04:03 sn.bdb

And the relevant bits of my slapd.conf are:

[root@flyjack init.d]# more /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

allow bind_v2

pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args

access to * by anonymous none

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=eliot,dc=stock,dc=name"
rootpw          {SSHA}(removed)
directory       /var/lib/ldap

index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eliot Stock.