Re: olcDefaultSearchBase: value #0: <olcDefaultSearchBase> invalid DN 21 (Invalid syntax)

This appears to be a design flaw in back-config; it is trying to parse that DN before it has loaded the core schema and so does not have the "dc" definition yet. Please submit this information to the OpenLDAP ITS.

Samuel Tran wrote:
Hi All,

I am testing OpenLDAP 2.3.4 + Berkeley DB .4.2.52 on a Debian Sarge
server.

I successfully converted my slapd.conf to the new format slapd.d. I also
imported the latest dump from my production OpenLDAP server.

Now I am trying to start slapd using the new slapd.d:
/usr/local/libexec/slapd -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d -u ldap -d 255

I got the following error:
olcDefaultSearchBase: value #0: <olcDefaultSearchBase> invalid DN 21
(Invalid syntax)

I cannot find any information on this directive in the admin guide
(http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/slapdconf2.html)

In my slapd.conf file, I do have that directive set up:
defaultsearchbase "dc=example,dc=com"
I can successfully start slapd using slapd.conf.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Sam

PS: below is the whole ouput when trying to start slapd

# /usr/local/libexec/slapd -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d -u ldap -d 255
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.4 (Jul 21 2005 17:11:16) $
stran@fendi:/usr/local/src/openldap-2.3.4/servers/slapd
daemon_init: <null>
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
daemon: IPv6 socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by
protocol)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 2 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
slap_sasl_init: initialized!
bdb_back_initialize: initialize BDB backend
bdb_back_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December
3, 2003)
hdb_back_initialize: initialize HDB backend
hdb_back_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December
3, 2003)
backend_startup_one: starting "cn=config"
=> str2entry: "dn: cn=config
objectClass: olcGlobal
cn: config
olcConfigFile: slapd.conf
olcConfigDir: /etc/openldap/slapd.d
olcAllows: bind_v2
olcAuthzPolicy: none
olcConcurrency: 0
olcConnMaxPending: 100
olcConnMaxPendingAuth: 1000
olcDefaultSearchBase: dc=example,dc=com
olcGentleHUP: FALSE
olcIdleTimeout: 0
olcIndexSubstrIfMaxLen: 4
olcIndexSubstrIfMinLen: 2
olcIndexSubstrAnyLen: 4
olcIndexSubstrAnyStep: 2
olcLocalSSF: 71
olcLogLevel: Stats
olcPasswordHash: {SSHA}
olcPidFile: /var/tmp/slapd.pid
olcReadOnly: FALSE
olcReplicationInterval: 0
olcReverseLookup: FALSE
olcSaslSecProps: noplain,noanonymous
olcSockbufMaxIncoming: 524288
olcSockbufMaxIncomingAuth: 16777215
olcThreads: 16
olcTLSCRLCheck: none
olcTLSVerifyClient: never
structuralObjectClass: olcGlobal
"
dnPrettyNormal: <cn=config>
=> ldap_bv2dn(cn=config,0)
ldap_err2string
<= ldap_bv2dn(cn=config)=0 Success
=> ldap_dn2bv(272)
ldap_err2string
<= ldap_dn2bv(cn=config)=0 Success
=> ldap_dn2bv(272)
ldap_err2string
<= ldap_dn2bv(cn=config)=0 Success
<<< dnPrettyNormal: <cn=config>, <cn=config>
<= str2entry(cn=config) -> 0x81977b8
=> test_filter
PRESENT
=> access_allowed: search access to "cn=config" "objectClass" requested
<= root access granted
<= test_filter 6
line 1 (slapd.conf)
line 1 (/etc/openldap/slapd.d)
line 1 (bind_v2)
line 1 (none)
line 1 (0)
line 1 (100)
line 1 (1000)
line 1 (dc=example,dc=com)
dnPrettyNormal: <dc=example,dc=com>
=> ldap_bv2dn(dc=example,dc=com,0)
ldap_err2string
<= ldap_bv2dn(dc=example,dc=com)=0 Success
ldap_err2string
olcDefaultSearchBase: value #0: <olcDefaultSearchBase> invalid DN 21
(Invalid syntax)
send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0
send_ldap_result: err=19 matched="" text=""
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

--
 -- Howard Chu