Re: ldap newbie again

Hello payal,

It's very nice that u want to jump again in OpenLdap.
Best way to start OpenLdap as a stand alone is to compile it manually
from source.
Get the source from OpenLdap.org
untar it in some good location like /usr/local/src
Go in to /usr/local/src/openldap-2.2.26 and run below command.
<This is my settings>
mkdir /var/ldap
mkdir /var/ldap/sbin
./configure --prefix=/var/ldap \
           --libexecdir=/var/ldap/sbin \
           --with-tls --enable-aci \
           --enable-modules --enable-slapi \
           --enable-slp --disable-bdb \
           --enable-ldbm --with-ldbm-api=gdbm \
           --enable-dgngroup --enable-proxy-cache \

You need some extra packages for that, i think u can download it from net.

Then<makedep && make && make install && make test>
If make test run successfully then your open ldap is running successfully.
Now u can find slapd.conf in /var/ldap/etc/openldap/

Change in
database "ldbm"
suffix  "yourdomain.com"
rootdn "cn=admin,ou=people,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
rootpw admin

Now go to  /var/ldap/sbin/

./slapd -d1

You can see junk of log and at last line slapd starting. That's it enjoy...

Best doc for OpenLdap is

If you have any Q? regarding this revert me back.

Payal Rathod wrote:

After my last unsuccessful try and many months of sulking I am trying
LDAP again on a stand alone machine with Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) on AMD 2600+ XP machine.
I am very very new to Ldap and after my last trust with it am lacking in confidence on ldap. Can someone suggest how do I start with it? I have no specific requirement but a shared address book would be a nice idea. How do I start with it? I have installed,
# rpm -qa | grep ldap

There is no ldap binary I can find or a slapd.conf file.
Please tolerate these questions and suggest where do I start?

With warm regards,

With Cheers,
Hardik Dalwadi.