Re: poor performance of OpenLDAP vs AD?

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
 --On Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:49 PM +0200 Tomasz Chmielewski
 <mangoo@interia.pl> wrote:

> Recently, when planning to deploy a directory server, I was
> confronted with someone claiming that OpenLDAP performs poorly,
> when compared to Active Directory, and thus, we should choose AD.

And I bet they also said that running Microsoft products has a lower Total Cost of Ownership than anything else too.

> I tried looking through the web, found some benchmarks, but didn't
> find a definite answer to that problem.

The person making those claims ought to provide the evidence backing up the claims. (If they can. Most likely not.)

> Do you have some material / links that compare the two directory
> servers, OpenLDAP and AD, in terms of performance?

 I have no specific performance numbers for AD, however I would note
 that the only study I know comparing the two was done against
 OpenLDAP 2.0, and is extremely out of date.  The newer releases of
 OpenLDAP are hundreds of times faster than the 2.0 release when
 configured properly.

 <http://www.symas.com/benchmark.shtml>

 has some more recent numbers, and we are working on a more
 comprehensive set of benchmarks.

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun http://www.symas.com http://highlandsun.com/hyc Symas: Premier OpenSource Development and Support