Trouble changing user passwords

Hello, I am trying to allow my users to change their own passwords using
the ldappasswd command. When the following command is run

ldappasswd -AxSWD "uid=kris,ou=people,dc=xxxxxxxxx,dc=com"

I get the following back
Old password:
Re-enter old password:
New password:
Re-enter new password:
Enter LDAP Password:
Result: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
Additional info: use bind to verify old password

The security section of my slapd.conf file looks like this>

access to *
        by * read
access to attrs=userPassword
        by self write
        by * auth

What I don't understand is that I thought I was binding as the user kris
(in the above example). Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,
Kris