handling multiply named attributes in PHP and PERL

Does anyone have example code for php-ldap and/or perl-ldap to figure out what the canonical name of an attribute is so they can interrogate the results of a search for the correct attribute?

AKA, I have multiple applications that were written using "userid" but that's really an alias of "uid" and they aren't working so well with OpenLDAP since it is returning "uid" and expecting them to know that's what they really asked for.

I'd rather show them the error of their ways and give them example code to deal with their problem than break everything else (such as nss_ldap) that is dependent upon the "uid" attribute name... I hate cans of worms!

Thanks,
Informtn Tech Profssnl Sr       | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,