dn.dnstyle=dn acl works in backend specific but not in global configuration.

Hi,
  this is my access list:
access to dn.subtree="ou=staff,dc=preginet" by users
read

But my problem is that this only works when I place it
in database specific. slapd.conf(5) didn't mention
anything about this, it only says that configurations
placed in global or otherwise above any other
database/backend directive lines, can be overriden by
the configuration that are found below any
database/backend definition. I'm using version 2.2.26.
Apparently this was the answer I was looking for from
my previous posts regarding the error of always having
a bad DN.

Any input will be appreciated.